pcmcia/usb sound card advice

I am looking for an external sound card (or however its called in this
case ;-) ) for my laptop to use for recording input at high quality.
The emphasis is on quality in this case, I am not looking for bells and
whistles (which is of course the only thing the salesperson knows)
For the moment I need to record old vinyls to copy them to cd to save
them, but its not only for that.
I am looking for something that will also work with linux (debian in my
case) and hopefully won't cost as much as a new laptop.
usb is better, since it will also work with my desktop, only I don't
have usb 2 at the moment if thats a problem.
Will be happy for any suggestions/experiences

Thanx

--
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il