Configuration problem for wireless card with sid

Hi all

I have an Acer Travelmate 520iT laptop and a Belkin wireless card. Untill
it recently it worrked fine. Due to some unforeseen events i had to do a
full reinstall of Debian (unstable) on my machine. After doing this i can
no longer get my Belkin card to work.

Below are some of the particulars on my machine..questions follow

lsmod output is

ds                      6624   2
i82365                 22384   2
pcmcia_core            41376   0  [ds i82365]
apm                     9116   2  (autoclean)
orinoco                29568   0  (unused)
hermes                  3296   0  [orinoco]
ac97_codec              9568   0  (unused)
eepro100               17232   1
keybdev                 1664   0  (unused)
usbkbd                  2848   0  (unused)
input                   3040   0  [keybdev usbkbd]
usb-ohci               17472   0  (unused)
usbcore                48000   1  [usbkbd usb-ohci]

Cardctl ident output is

Socket 0:
  product info: "Belkin", "11Mbps Wireless Notebook Network Adapter", "Version 01.02", ""
  manfid: 0x0156, 0x0002
  function: 6 (network)
Socket 1:
  no product info available

my  /etc/network/interfaces configuration file contains the following
(ipadresses have been changed by me)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.4.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.1.0
	broadcast 192.168.1.255
	gateway 192.168.1.1

eth1
iface eth1 inet static
	adress 192.168.1.4
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.1.0
	broadcast 192.168.1.255
	gateway 192.168.1.1
	wireless_essid someone
	wireless_mode managed
	wireless_enc [1] XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX restricted

the command ifup generates the following command

/etc/network/interfaces:17 option with empty value
ifup: couldnt read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"

when the Belkin card is inserted into the slot syslog reports the following;

cardmgr[460]: unsupported card in socket 0
cardmgr[460]:   product info: "Belkin", "11Mbps Wireless Notebook Network Adapter", "Version 01.02", ""
cardmgr[460]:   manfid: 0x0156, 0x0002  function: 6 (network)

My question is simply - whats happening here? Why isnt the card detected
and why cant iwconfig get it to work, and the error report about the
interfaces file is weird. Fact is i have been unable to get any other
interface than eth0 up. No matter what i put in eht1 i cant get the
interface to come up - never mind whether or not is can talk to access
point or not - i cant even get an eth1 device to exist.

I must have done something very very stupid or perhaps there is a
worldwide conspiracy against me (*s*), either way, any help would be
appreciated.

Thomas