Mouse and keyboard problems

   I installed debian on a Toshiba 1405 laptop approximately a year ago.

   Problem 1: when I am in an xterm window (from gnome?), I often
get a letter repeated when I press a key.  I read somewhere that
this can be fixed by changing a "stickykeys" setting, but I would
like to know exactly what file to edit and what I do there.

   Problem 2:  The touchpad mouse jumps around uncontrollably, and
won't move at all after a few minutes of use.

   Thanks for any help!