Re: ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 - Toshiba Tecra S1

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 08:03:07PM +0200, Oyvind Albrigtsen wrote:
> hi
>
> i just got my toshiba tecra s1, and it's got a ati mobility radeon 9000
> display adapter.
>
> i cant get it to work. i've been searching the net for information on
> how to make it work, but havent found anything that worked, except for
> using the vesa driver, which makes my framebuffer screw up. i even tried
> disabling the framebuffer, because some site said that would do it.

Hrmmm.

> i've tried with both the "ati" and "radeon" driver
> they both give me the message:
>
> (EE) No devices detected.
>
> (II) Module ati: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
>         compiled for 4.2.1.1, module version = 6.4.16
>         Module class: XFree86 Video Driver
>         ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.5

Perhaps http://www.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html would be helpful,
or perhaps you might try the X 4.3 packages.  Threads on the open net
suggest that 2D support for that card was introduced very late in 2002,
and that 4.3 was expected to have it builtin.  But there is also mention
of fglrx, apparently a utility by ATI, and the origin of that is that it
supports the "FireGL" features inside the card.

lastly a note referred to a Radeon 9000 as chipset "0x4242" but didn't
mention if it was a mobility chipset. Knowing ATI's history (that every
single darn card has a slightly different video bios) I would avoid
punching numbers into the chipset value without glancing into the
sources to feel more confident.  And X's source is big and bulky...

Best of luck

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078