Help Re: Soundcard for Linux in Compaq

Hello,
    I have Compaq Presario US2561. I am facing the same problem with the
soundcard Acer - [ALi] M5451. However, I am just a beginner with Linux. I even
have  problems following up with all the suggestions on the message board and
archives. For some reason my laptop cannot run 2.4.20-3-386, says system
panic. So I am running 2.4.18-bf2.4. If you have any suggestions please reply.
Any information will be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sudeep