ACPI, and other kernel things

I'm looking at building a new kernel for my laptop (an IBM Thinkpad
T40), and one of the things I'm looking at is adding ACPI support.
The ACPI HOWTO suggests that the Debian kernel source includes the
ACPI patch, but the kernel-source-2.4.21 README.Debian doesn't
explicitly call this out, and the latest 2.4.21 patch mostly (but not
entirely) applies.  Should I just use the kernel.org kernel source
here?  Is it worth trying a 2.4.22pre kernel, just to have the latest
and greatest ACPI?  (Probably not.)

While I'm rebuilding things, I also want to add the appropriate DRI
module (from dri.sf.net), and fix one or two mildly broken settings.
Are there any other patches I desparately want to make hardware work
on this?

	-- Abra Mitchell