2.6 Debian image package and Dell Inspiron 4100 = Kernel panic on boot

Hi,

Facing problems when compiling my own 2.6 kernel, I finally decided to
install the Debian kernel-image-2.6.0-test2 package.

All was well done (installing, configuring GRUB) but whenever I try to
boot on my new 2.6 kernel, all I have is a kernel panic :(

IIRC, it told me it got problems when trying to mount the root
partition on /dev2/hda2 ??? (yes this is not a fault it really tried to
use /dev2). I then checked up my GRUB config and AFAIK, there was no
clue of any /dev2 root partition.

What makes me going on nuts is also the partition it tries to use as
its root partition. My root partition is not really hda2 :(

So I am totally lost with that 2.6 kernel. The main goal behind using
the bleeding edge is to take advantage of the new feature for the
laptop (preemptible, better acpi support, mode suspend, CPUfreq, etc
...).

Any help for this would be grantly appreciated :)

zeDek

P.S: it has also cried about a missing dev/console (still not a
misstyped thing).
--
"NT is good for something; I just haven't found the particular area
 where it really shines."