Re: 802.11b cards

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:30:49AM +1200, criggie wrote:
> As for security, I have mine locked down to the mac addresses of my two
> wireless cards, and I intend to modify my iptables rulesets to be more

You do realise, of course, that a simple amount of sniffing to ascertain the
MAC addresses involved, and a simple 'ifconfig ethX hw ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX'
gets around that? (on cards that support it...)

I have a similar setup at home. I recently bought a new wireless device
(internal, specific to my laptop) and wanted to try it out. To avoid having
to go and reboot my clunky old desktop into win98 to update the MAC access
list on the AP, I just changed the MAC locally on the laptop.

Mike.
--
Mike Beattie <mike@ethernal.org>                      ZL4TXK, IRLP Node 6184

    "Why Not? I'm drunk right now."    -- Anthony Towns when asked about
       naming the next Debian release after the winner of an auction.