Re: 802.11b cards

Blars Blarson wrote:

I'm considering getting a wireless card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron
8200) running Debian unstable.  Cardbus/pcmcia would be best, but it
also has usb, firewire, and an availabe mini-pci slot.  What currently
available reasonably priced cards work with linux?
I really like the Lucent/Agere Orinoco cards. They seem pretty durable (as far as how easy it would be to bust the "sticking out" part off. They also have an external antenna connector for if you ever wanted to hook up a cantenna or something. They go for about $40-$45 on eBay (for this 128-bit "gold" ones. The 40-bit "silver" ones are even cheaper, I'm sure).

I've also tried those 3COM OfficeConnect ones with the pop-out x-jack. Their design is aimed at being able to leave the card in the laptop all the time, but you can retract the antenna into the card so that there's nothing to break off when you're not using it. However, of the few people I've talked to that use one (and from my own experiences), they seem to just lose the connection for about 30 seconds every few minutes. Very strange. Anyway, I steer clear of those now.

- Joe