Re: Choosing the layout of server X in GDM

OoO Pendant le repas du samedi 16 août 2003, vers 19:26, Xavier
Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> disait:

> Let me explain why I don't considerate it as the *ideal* solution. I
> honestly think the layout of the X server should be chosen before I
> launch my X session that is to say one have to install a program that
> is aware of the current situation and choose according to it what to do
> with my X session.

I don't know how a program could be aware of what you would like to
do. You may want a cloned display for a presentation or a dual headed
display for work and I don't know if any USB mind reader is compatible
with Linux ! ;-)

> So I think, having to restart my GDM just to switch my X layout is
> painfull and make my productivity going down ;)

Personally, my laptop is never shut down, so I have to restart X
whatever I do when I change the configuration.

> To your program, I 'd rather use dedicated program that just deals well
> with laptop. I want to talk of the laptop-net software and friends.

I admit that this is a better tool if you restart your laptop
(for example, if it does not support sleep mode) between two
changes. Another solution would be some kind of display manager which
runs in text mode and then allows to choose an X server configuration
before starting X.
--
DODGEBALL STOPS AT THE GYM DOOR
DODGEBALL STOPS AT THE GYM DOOR
DODGEBALL STOPS AT THE GYM DOOR
-+- Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode BABF12