Re: Is Compaq Presario 2158 worth for linux?

Paulo Lopes wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking in buying one of those laptops but i'm not sure because of the video card, At hp site they say that that model has a ATI Mobility Radeon with 64MB SDRAM DDR shared.

Does Xfree 4.3 support that card? what about DRI? can it do 3d stuff? or the x driver is on 2d?

What about overall performance? does anyone have one of that laptops? are you satisfied?

What are the major flaws on that model?

Thanks,
Paulo Lopes

I have one of these laptops with debian sid running on it. It runs just fine and everything works except suspend and 3d excel. You are supposed to be able to patch xfree86 but it has never worked for me. I got mine for 700us new so it was well worth it for me. If you do not have to pay alot for it I say to get it.
John Hornbeck

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by OnlineOK Mail SErver]