restricting samba access a bit

I'm connecting my laptop into a mixed Linux/MSW network using samba shares.  I
want access to files on my desktop. At the moment I do this using a 'guest'
share - no password required. This works OK but I'd like to make it more
secure so I tried changing the share on the desktop to allow only "valid
users peter". I then tried to mount the share on my laptop using:
mount -t smbfs //desktop/root /mnt/desktop -o username=peter
I was then prompted for my password which I gave correctly.
The mount was rejected on my laptop saying invalid username/password
combination and the samba log on the desktop reported an invalid login. The
strange thing was it reported the login by user "nobody" which is the guest
username. I tried fiddling with various settings (via webmin and by editing
the samba conf file) but it was always the same: the username part of the
mount seems to be ignored.

What am I missing?

TIA, Peter