Re: Can't get to the prompt

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 03:12, bolopsicadelico@aeiou.pt wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I've installed Debian on a Pentium@166Mhz with a very old ATI Mach64
> with 4mb of memory and 32mb of RAM memory.very well until i restart
> the system.when i restart the computer and choose Linux,it goes
> straight to login screen of the display manager(gnome in my case)and
> the computer crashes!
> I've tried ctrl+alt+F1 to go to the prompt but everything crashes
> after the message"starting GNOME display manager!"!
>
> How can i get to the prompt before gdm starts?
>
> thanks

> Registe-se nas e-newsletters profissionais da Dashfer, sem qualquer
> custo, e habilite-se a ganhar fabulosos prmios!  Subscreva j!
> http://xekmail.aeiou.pt/dashofer

try entering on the command prompt
linux single
replace linux with you image name if needed.
Enter your root password, then go to /etc/rc2.d/ and move S99gdm to
K99gdm, S99xdm to K99xdm and S99kdm to K99kdm (don't worry if not all of
them appear). This will disable the graphic login at startup. you can
also uninstall them if you prefer instead.
Also check that you have enough swap space.
now press Ctrl-d to return to normal boot. Next time you log in the
graphic boot won't start