Re: alsa-source invalid group

Jeff <jcoppock1@comcast.net> writes:

> I'm trying to compile the alsa-source in testing and having a
> problem.
>
> I run ./configure and then make without trouble.  When I run make
> install, I get this error:

The Debian kernel module source packages are generally intended to be
built via 'make-kpkg modules-image', from the kernel-package package.
You might look at what debian/rules does for the kdist-image target to
see if anything particularly magical happens.

> <snip>
> if [ -d /sbin/init.d ]; then \
>   install -m 755 -g  -o  utils/alsasound /sbin/init.d/alsasound; \
> elif [ -d /etc/rc.d/init.d ]; then \
>   install -m 755 -g  -o  utils/alsasound /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound; \
> elif [ -d /etc/init.d ]; then \
>   install -m 755 -g  -o  utils/alsasound /etc/init.d/alsasound; \
> fi

...this is installing userspace stuff, not the kernel drivers, so in
principle you shouldn't be running this code at all.

(I know that for lm-sensors, which I maintain, the kernel source
package doesn't include a lot of the userspace code, so if you don't
either use kernel-package or read the directions in README.Debian your
build will completely lose.  I do this for two reasons: to reduce the
size of the lm-sensors-source package, and so that it won't need to
depend on other development packages that aren't needed for the kernel
modules.)

	-- Abra Mitchell