Setting up X on an Inspiron 8000

I've got an Inspiron 8000 with an ATI Mobility M4 board inside and I'm
trying to get X up and running. Everything works fine, except for the
fact that I can't switch resolutions. I can go between 1400x1050 and
1024x768 and that's it. I really need to be able to get down to either
640x480 or 800x600 so that I can make use of my TV out.

Now, the really embarrassing part of this whole problem is that I HAD
everything working for almost a year, including all the resolution
changing, I'm just not sure how. I ended up trying out the DRM trunk
packages (http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk-sid) and in the
process making a number of changes to both my XF86Config-4 and my kernel
.config. Coincidentally, if I've been reading things right, it seems
that the newer 2.4 series kernels already have the DRM source in there,
and that XFree86 on sid comes with DRM support already, so I did a whole
bunch of unnecessary work.

So with all of that being said, I'm trying to figure out how to achieve
that perfect mix if options to get my system working. Does anyone else
have this working, and if so could you post your XF86Config and any
kernel options you might be using? Any help is greatly appreciated.
--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837