Low-latency & pre-emptive patches for improving old laptop...

Hello all,
I just got a semi-broken old laptop (acer 701t - p2/233 - 32mb
ram - 3g hdd...) from a friend of mine, which I plan to fix &
use. I already installed debian sid on it & everything works
fine (even divx playback with mplayer :).
I have used low-latency & pre-emptive patches on some desktop
boxes in the past with no significant speed improvements (they
were quite fast already anyway), however I was wondering if
these patches should have any impact on this old laptop's
performance.

Any suggestions ?

--
Manolis Tzanidakis