Can't install Sarge from CD

I downloaded the Sarge binaries using jigdo. I tried to install to a laptop. I
didn't want to configure the network as it's a rare PCMCIA NIC so I need a
running system to sort it out. The trouble is that 'Install base system'
tries to connect to http://www......./Release. When it fails (as there's no
network) the base install fails. I'm stuck!

I've tried getting the network configured at install time but failed. There
seems to be no cardmgr, no pcmcia-core or any of the other things I'm used to
when getting this NIC working with Debian (Morphix/Knoppix).

I can still enjoy Debian by using a Morphix install, but I want to do a pure
install from the CD's. Surely this should be possible without a network
conection?

TIA, Peter