XFree86 at Radeon Mobility M6

I've got a Dell Latitude C610 with the ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon
Mobility M6 [LY] card and 16MB of video memory.  I've been trying to
get the ati driver in XFree86 4.2.1 (I'm running Sarge) to display at
1280x1024 on my external 19" monitor, but it will only display at
1024x768.

I have VESA FB compiled into my 2.4.21 kernel, and when I use the
vesa driver in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file along with the UseFBDev
option set to "true", I get the 1280x1024.

When I use the ati driver, and the UseFBDev option set to true, I get
an error stating that there are unresolved symbols in the radeon i2c
module, and X crashes.

When I use the ati driver without the UseFBDev option, the i2c module
loads fine, and I get 1024x768.  In the /var/log/XFree86.log file, I
see that vesa is detected and that 1280x1024@75 is a supported VESA
mode and 1280x1024@85 is a future supported mode.  I'm thinking that
the refresh rate might be an issue, but I don't know enough about it
to tell.

Can anyone help me understand this issue?

thanks,
jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer