Re: 2.4.21 & 2.5.74 freeze on dell c600

"Juan L." <jcb@niluge.net> writes:

> i experience machine freezes (even bios is gone) when i try to use
> sound+network card and X

I haven't really had any problems with my Latitude C600 using 2.4.21
under unstable...

> i have read acpi related issues ? any ideas ?

...but I also haven't tried ACPI on it in a really long time.  I
remember hearing that the Dell laptops only had half of an ACPI
implementation, so that it worked fine if you had the proprietary
Windows drivers but something actually attempting to implement the
standard pretty much universally lost.  I have APM support but not
ACPI support and that's fine for me.

> d000-d0ff : 3Com Corporation Mini PCI 56k Winmode
> d400-d4ff : 3Com Corporation 3c556 Hurricane Card

I also have the internal 802.11 option, rather than the Ethernet/modem
option.  I use the pcmcia-source drivers rather than the drivers
supplied with the kernel.  And if sound is an issue, I use ALSA rather
than the kernel drivers as well.  (And for completeness, my
/usr/src/modules also has an openafs directory.  :-)

	-- Abra Mitchell