Re: sound on dell inspiron 5100

>On Wed Jun 11, 2003 at 12:34:59PM +0300, Manolis Tzanidakis wrote:
> [20030611] Abhay Pradhan (pradhan@ece.utexas.edu) wrote:
>
> > I am trying to get sound to work on a dell inspiron 5100.
> > Windows reports the soundcard as a sigmatel c major audio card.
> > The distro I am using is debian.
> > I looked for a linux driver for this soundcard but was not successful.
> > Any ideas on how to go about this would be a great help.
>
> I'd suggest to use ALSA if your sound card is supported.
> Do :
> $ lspci -v
>
> to find your sound card's exact type and check the card matrix
> at www.alsa-project.org to see if it's supported.
>
> Then check these pages for how to install alsa (the debian way):
>
> http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=541&page=1
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~rknop/linux/debian_alsa.html

I tried downloading alsa using apt-get. unfortunately, while configuring
I get an error

------
herenya:~# apt-get install alsa-source alsa-base alsa-utils
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, alsa-source is already the newest version.
Sorry, alsa-base is already the newest version.
Sorry, alsa-utils is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 120  not
upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Setting up alsa-modules-2.4.20 (0.9.4-1+1) ...
Configuration file for ALSA 0.9 exists.
Attempting to start.

Setting up alsa-modules-2.4.20 (0.9.4-1+1) ...
Configuration file for ALSA 0.9 exists.
Attempting to start.

Shutting down ALSA (unknown version): not running
Starting ALSA (unknown version): failed - ALSA modules not installed
invoke-rc.d: initscript alsa, action "restart" failed.
dpkg: error processing alsa-modules-2.4.20 (--configure):
	alsa-modules-2.4.20
------

So I am at a loss here.
:(