RE: Debian <---> Gentoo

I've tried to use Gentoo a couple of times.  I run Linux on older
"reject" computer equipment so it was tempting to have a distro that
compiled the apps with the optimizations I wanted (instead of assuming I
was running on in i686).
I have been unable to get it to install through the proxy server we use
at my employer.  It requires a user name and password.
I've read through all the Gentoo doc's and followed all the directions
that are supposed to work.

Why bother?  Debian works through our proxy server with absolutely no
problems.  I just enter the information during the install and it sticks
the entry into the apt.conf file.

-Jason