Re: Stolen laptop

Hello all,

Am 09:16 2003-06-24 +0100 hat Chris Higgins geschrieben:

>It's a Linux box - It's probably running X windows by default,
> and hopefully [xgk]dm isn't doing an auto-login... So
>on the login panel have a "username: fred password: 34sjdsfy8" message
>displayed.
>
>When this user logs in it will be the 'bad guy', cause it sure
>as hell isn't going to be you..

If you have the console prompt, why not make a script (last in rcS.2)
which display:

For Guest-Loging use as ID and Password "guest".

Beleave me, they do it. ;-)
It is a crazy world.

>Then you know you are in 'bad boy mode' and you can launch some eye-candy,
>to keep them distracted and send the machine into defensive mode in the
>background ( tar -zcf - /home | gpg -blah )

Taring it up and gpg it is a nice idea !!!

I think I will do it too !!!

>Pop up a nice "dial internet to download porn/bank account details/
>whatever" window, and then trigger the dial.... A little bit of social
>engineering and they'll do the dialin for you... even get them to
>plug in the phone line :-)

Why not Display a message:

ppp Error: Can not connect to Server. Please connect to the Telephoneline

;-))

>Once you know you are in bad-boy mode, you can then do what you want
>to the box - your data should end up encrypted, so if you ever recover
>the machine you don't lose the data since your last backup ( you are
>backing things up aren't you ).. [1],... then gather everything you can
>about the network and email the world.

Oh yes, and if you tar your /home or whatever, install a Dial-In-Server
at home so it can send you important Data directly.  ;-))

Maybe you need to make smal tar-Archives with importance numerotation.

Hmmm, I think I will make someting like this...
Nice security ideas...

Michelle