Re: Debian <---> Gentoo

Johannes Graumann <johannes_graumann@web.de> writes:

> This might be a provoking question but I was wondering whether anybody
> on the list had tried Gentoo Linux ... I get the impression that the
> custom compiling done through this distribution might be the right
> thing for the limited resources of a laptop?
>
> Please let me hear your opinion!

I have used Debian for the last 3-4 years (since I got fed up by Redhats
"missing dependencies"), and it's still on my main machine.

However, my (two) new machines, one of which is a laptop, runs Gentoo.
The speed difference isn't that great, compiling everything takes a long
time, but for some reason I feel more at home with Gentoo.

They are the only Linux distros for me - Gentoo on a fast machine with
lots of ram, Debian on anyting smaller.
--
Hilsen Harald.