thinkpad R40 sarge install PCI_IDE unknown

Hi all,

I need help with the sarge install procedure. I use sarge because it has the 2.4.20 and the e100 ethernet module which is needed for my IBM Thinkpad R40, and i had problems with dpkg the 2.4.20 kernel when installing woody.

I do a net install.
This is in detail what i did:
Start menu
1. network hw detect, loaded module e100 - ok
3. configured a static network
4. load installer modules

Main menu
6. detect cdrom - here it tries permanently to install the floppy module, but i have no floppy so it fails. impossible to skip: - not very nice menu

so i load the modules for HD and CDROM access manually on a second console
--> lsmod
ide-scsi
ide-probe-mod
ide-mod
sg
sr_mod
ext3
jbd
cdrom
scsi_mod
e100
unix

I get several success msg, the cdrom is recognized the atapi ide hd is recognized, everything looks fine. i type a few lines from dmesg:

 PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on pCI bus 00 device f9, VID=8086 DID=24ca
PCI: device not avail. because of respurce collisions
PCI: found IRQ11
..sharing IRQ11
PCI_IDE: BIOS setup was incomplete
  ide0 BM-DMA ...
  ide1 ....
hda: IC25 blah ATA disk
hdc: UJDA740 DVD/CDRW atapi ...
ide0 at ... on irq14
ide1 at ... on irq15
scsi: SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI dev
vendor MATSHITA bla
type CD-ROM  bla
..
..
attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0 ..0, ..0 , lun0
                       1        1               1
... etc.

sr0: scsi3-mmc drive ..bla cdda tray

Does the scsi stuff eventually disturb the usual ide hd access?
I dont have rmmod by now, so i'd have to reboot and start new from cd install to get rid of these modules.

When i try to enter point 9 or 10 (partition) or 11 (mount) it says: unable to find any discs. maybe some more kernel modules need to be loaded.

How can i find out which modules are needed for basic ide access?

Also I cannot access the cdrom which is of course the minor problem, but it would be nice to solve it also :)

Thanks in advance,

Florian

--
Florian Konnertz   ---   http://www.florian-konnertz.de