Re: eepro100 and dhcp on new kernel

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Harry Barnes wrote:

> I figured out that I had to enable those options in the kernel.
>
> How do I to tell dpkg to uninstall the kernel it installed ?
>
> I don't want to have two many of those hanging around

Well, you compile the new kernel using kernel-package, which creates a
kernel-image deb package. Then when this new kernel-image deb package is
installed with dpkg the last kernel you installed is uninstalled. The
files don't get deleted however. The files that are relevant are the whole
modules directory in /lib/modules and files in /boot. You'll see in both
of these directories either directories (/lib/modules) of kernel files
(/boot) from the older kernels you have installed. You can delete these by
hand if you want. Be careful though, don't delete the working
modules directory or any of the files resulting from the current kernel.
These additional files don't do any harm to my knowledge except take up
space. So I don't think you need to worry too much about them unless
you really need to free up the disk space. Doing things one step at a time
is always wise if something breaks, because then you have a pretty good
idea what caused the break.

Actually, what I have said may not be quite true, depending upon how you
have your bootloader set up. There is a commonly done option in lilo to
have the kernel that is replaced come up on the boot menu also.
kernel-package supports this if the lilo configuration is done this way.
This is useful in that it lets you go back to the last (presumeably
working) kernel before the install that was just done, in case the latest
kernel compile doesn't work for some reason. If you do this, obviously you
don't want to remove any of the files or modules associated with this old
kernel either.