troubles with ACPI on a NEC LaVie MX

Hi there,

I'm having problems with ACPI on a NEC LaVie MX LX60T/5 sublaptop
(which is *very* similar to NEC Versa Ultralite and Daylite models - if
you have one of those, *please* tell me about your experience!).

When using tools such as wmbattery to monitor battery state,
wmbattery hangs after a certain period of time, and eats all CPU
power. Any attempt to kill the process (with the -9 option) remains
unsuccessful. At this point, when I try to read files in /proc/acpi,
most of them crash the shell, and won't allow to be killed.

When this happens, I get loads of such messages in my logs
(messages, kern.log and syslog):

May 11 18:49:16 localhost kernel:      osl-0888 [49] os_wait_semaphore     : Failed to acquire semaphore[c6cf7580|1|0], AE_TIME

Switching from wmbattery to "acpi -V" seemed to help. But there
remains a big problem.

Quite often, my keyboard stops working. Most of the time, it happens
after I leave the computer alone for some time, lid closed (with AC
adaptor plugged or unplugged). But recently, it even happened while
I was typing! When this happens, the mouse keeps working, as well as
the key combination "ctrl alt del". The reboot can't be completed,
though, and the machine hangs while trying to unmout usb devices (I
don't have any USB connected).

The reason why I think it has to do with ACPI is that I get the
"os_wait_semaphore" line as well when it happens. I also ssh'ed into
my machine in this state, and any acpi querrying would crash the
shell...

Any idea how to fix this?

More info on my configuration:

$ uname -sr