Toshiba 2430-S255 and 2.4 kernel

I received a new laptop last week, a Toshiba Satellite 2430-S255. I was able
to install Debian sarge and get KDE/GNOME installed and running.  However,
when I installed the 2.4.20-7 kernel and rebooted, my system locked solid
while loading the kernel. I was able to install RedHat previously and load a
2.4 kernel successfully, and have reinstalled Debian a few times, all with
the same result.

Anybody have an idea why this would be the case?

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@myrealbox.com>
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/c/mcpierce>