Re: Change interface name

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 01:04:14PM -0700, Heather Stern wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 02:55:42PM +0200, Frank Trenkamp wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > But if you really wanted to use wlan0 the just create a sym link called
> > > wlan0 in /dev that points to eth0
> > > Some thing like:
> > >
> > > cd /dev
> > > ln -s eth0 wlan0
> >
> > uhm, that won't work. Network interfaces are created "on the fly" by the
> > kernel, there are no corresponding device files in /dev .. even if eth0 is up
> > and running, you will find no /dev/eth0, and most likely no wlan0 either.
> >
> > I have never used devfs so far, so I don't know if that makes a difference,
> > but I guess not.
>
> Yes. the devfsd userland daemon has a config file, and you can tell it
> that when certain events happen to eth0 you want it to make a symlink
> wlan0 -> eth0.
>
> I'm using it in another context to make /dev/mouse -> the usb mice if
> usb is found, otherwise psaux.

However, even under devfs, there's no 'eth0' device in /dev, so devfs
won't see any events for eth0. Nothing accesses eth0 through a device
node, there's a different set of functions for getting an FD to you
network interfaces.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

use, duplication and distribution.