Re: How many of you?

On Fri, 02 May 2003, Craig Genner wrote:

> Reading this list with interest a thought occurs to me.
>
> How many of you have actually installed linux on a laptop and not had to
> configure more than one or two programs to get a working system.
>
> I'm not talking about configuring it to how you like it, I'm talking about it
> just working so that you can get the work done with no fuss.

I suppose that depends on where you draw the line between "how you like
it" and "get the work done" - I don't think there's a clean division.

I'm writing this on a Thinkpad 570 running Debian exclusively. When I
set it up, the only thing I had trouble with was Alsa, arguably not
realy needed for Getting Work Done. I've never tried to get the winmodem
working, as I've never had a need for it.

Setup of everything else went great.

I've spent a lot of time tweaking things, as this machine is a little
old and with only 128M of RAM, it took a while to get a work environment
that doesn't start swapping horribly. That's the machine's fault, not
Debian's. Also, I always end up playing with things, tweaking things,
and generally fiddling around, because that's just the way I am.

Anyway, just a datapoint.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal@jal.org
"... in making the freedom-for-safety swap, we haven't just dishonored