RE: Pcmcia network card startup

>Hi,
>I've installed and used the pcmcia-cs package on debian.
>
>When i plug a 3com 3c589c pcmcia NIC in, then the card
>is detected and started, but to get it to appear as eth0
>in "ifconfig", i need to do /etc/init.d/networking restart.
>Is there a standard way of making this happen automatically?

I had a (bit of a) nightmare with this.
if you read this article it helped me shedloads. About hapfway down theres a
bit about installing dhcp client, that seemed to be my main problem. I
couldnt get it working with a static ip. cardctl status found the card,
cardctl ident identified it perfectly, but I wasnt get any action out of it,
everything knew the network was there, it just wouldnt connect, did the dhcp
stuff, and everything worked fine.

anyway heres the article (hope it helps)

http://math.dartmouth.edu/software/inspiron8000/

tim