Re: thinkpad 755c

Bob Albrightson wrote:
I am trying to get debian up on a thinkpad 755c.  First off, I know, I know,
it is a very old machine and would be put to better use as a boat anchor.
It's not mine.  I belongs to a friend and he is simply trying to extend
the life of this machine.

With that out of the way here is what is going on.  I have downloaded the
woody idepci floppy images.  Everything works just fine up to the point
where I try to configure the network.  The pcmcia ethernet card I have is
the 3com 3c589D.  The cardmanager detects the card just fine and loads the
correct driver.  /sbin/ifconfig can talk to the driver without a hitch.
When it comes time to send and receive packets nothing happens. If I try dhcp, it doesn't seem to get the request to the dhcp server. If I
configure the IP address, etc. manually also no go.

I just installed bf2.4 debian floppies onto a compaq with 16MB ram.

I used static IP and did:

First, pick an IP address and put into /etc/network/interfaces.
Put my main pc IP in /etc/network/interfaces as a gateway
Put host IP entries into /etc/hosts
Put your ISP DNS IPs in /etc/resolv.conf
Do: /etc/init.d/networking restart

I connected to the ISP by plugging the laptop ethernet into the
main pc which has IP masquerading. I used a 3com 3c589c.

To debug, try ifconfig or netstat -rn, or ping <host IP>.

Yes, I have tried the pcmcia ethernet card in another machine and it works
fine.  I have tried it in a toshiba laptop.  Also, I have tried this on two
different thinkpad 755c laptops and the result is the same.

Currently I'm thinking that I need some sort of special incantation to
send to the pcmcia controller, but I don't know what that is. I have tried searching the web for something like that. I did indeed find
some options to send to the pcmcia driver, but none of that worked.

First, get "ping localhost" to work.