ratpoison at 640x480

Hello,

I have a toshiba libretto 50CT, the laptop has a 6.1" screen only
640x480 res.

I'm using ratpoison, and for my term, use 'rxvt', with the font 8x16,
the sony fixed font.  The problem is that, this font and this screen
only allows for 79x27, afew of the apps I'm using require 80 columns.

My question is, how can I figure out how to get the biggest font
possible, and still have 80 columns of text.  If the font isn't big
enough, you will really not want to look at the screen for very long.

Also, seems that 'rxvt' or ratpoison, not sure which, puts a 1 'pixel'
border around rxvt, wondering if there is a way to get rid of the
border, and possibly squeeze another character out of screen?

TIA.