Re: Forget the modem, other questions

Jacob Tennant wrote:
I have given up on the modem on my laptop so I have a few other smaller
questions.

First, I am very new to linux so I need very descriptive replys, so you
might reply directly to me.

1. Which of the 3 windows manager (gdm,kdm,xdm) uses the least amount of
system resources?

Those are display managers, not window managers. They are the applications that present the a GUI login. I don't think any of them are going to consume enough resouces to be a problem. xdm is probably the smallest as it is the simplest.

If you are concerned about resouces, you may want to consider using a simpler window manager (e.g. wmaker, blackbox, fvwm95, etc.) Perhaps that was what you indended to ask? However if you aren't familiar with linux, you'll probably find gnome or kde easier to use.

2. I am presently using KDE by default, how do I change it to default to the
reply from question #1?

Option 1:
Use kdm or some other display manager that allows you to select you're prefered window manager and/or desktop environment when you log in.

Option 2:
Use the "update-alternatives" utility to select a different option for x-session-manager and/or x-window-manager. Use "man update-alternatives" for an explanation of the command.

3. I have downloaded and made a CD-ROM of some software and packages I want
to install on my system. How do I tell linux to install them from the CD?

dpkg -i <package_file_name>