Re: ACPI HOWTO (start) and (failed) installation notes

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:14:59AM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> From: "Jan T. Kim" <kim@inb.uni-luebeck.de>
>
> > Also, is there a particular reason for upgrading to the 2.4.20 kernel?
> >
> > I have a Toshiba Satellite 5100 notebook with Debian 3.0 installed; the
> > 2.4.18 kernel is the latest on my CD set. If necessary, I'd upgrade the
> > kernel, but if not, I'd rather add ACPI to the current one.
>
> You can't add ACPI to an existing kernel - you have to patch the source, anyway,

Ok, that's clear to me, though I haven't said it clearly -- what I meant
is, I intended to use the kernel-source package corresponding to the
kernel image package used on my system, copy the .config file from the
/boot directory into the kernel sources directory, apply the patch
(and possibly request compilation of the necessary modules using ``make
xconfig''), make a kernel package from the source tree thus modified,
and install that.

This way, I hope to construct a drop-in replacement kernel package, as
opposed to upgrading to a new kernel version, which sometimes results
in incompatibilities with kernel-related utilities and other problems.
As far as I know, it's not possible to just grab the kernel image and
source debian package files and install them, as they tend to depend on
newer versions of other packages.

> so you might as well patch the source for which the latest ACPI patches exist.
> Occasionally the most recent ACPI patches get backported, but generally they're
> only available for two releases at most.

I've downloaded acpi-20020918-2.4.18.diff.gz from acpi.sourceforge.net
and was planning to apply that to the Debian 2.4.18 kernel source. I'm
rather unfamiliar with ACPI (plunged into this matter only by acquiring
this notebook), so if you know of problems with this approach, I'd be
interested in all hints... particularly in information regarding the
makefile editing stuff.

Greetinx, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: kim@inb.uni-luebeck.de                          |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.inb.uni-luebeck.de/staff/kim.html    |