Re: Network problem

    "Emmanuel" == Emmanuel Di Pretoro <edipreto@ulb.ac.be> writes:

    Emmanuel> HI, I have a little problem with my network.  So, I try
    Emmanuel> to create a network between my laptop (lspci give me
    Emmanuel> 00:09.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c556
    Emmanuel> Hurricane CardBus (rev 10) with 3c59x module) and a
    Emmanuel> desktop (lspci : 00:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek
    Emmanuel> Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139 (rev 10) and 8139too
    Emmanuel> module).

    Emmanuel> Hereby the output of ifconfig command :

    Emmanuel> [...ifconfig looks good, 10 TX errors on desktop....]

    Emmanuel> On the two network cards, the two lights are on. I don't
    Emmanuel> know if it is normal or not. Maybe the network cards are
    Emmanuel> broken ? Anybody can help me ?

Hi Emmanuel,

Be sure you are using a cross over cable. You can't use a normal cable
between the two NIC cards (unless the NIC cards are connected via a
hub or switch).

Also, be sure that your routing table entries match whatever reality
is. Use the 'netstat -r' command to check. If you are not sure, post
the output from both machines, and tell us exactly what you have (i.e
is it a cable from laptop to desktop and that is all, or do you have a
cable/DSL modem somewhere with a hub?).

On each machine you will need a route to the other (the exact details
will be base don if there is a router or other default gateway
somewhere in your network), or you will need a router that knows how
to get from one to the other.

Cheers!
Shyamal