Re: compiling & installing kernels

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 01:27:28PM +1000, ben wrote:
> I am attempting to install a new kernel into my debian woody when I run
> make menuconfig  i get this:
> >>Unable to find the Ncurses libraries.
> >>
> >>You must have Ncurses installed in order
> >>to use 'make menuconfig'
> how do i go about installing Ncurses? I have tried apt-get but Ncurses
> doesn't seem to exist.

mjb@bofh:~> apt-cache show kernel-source-2.4.20 | grep Suggest
Suggests: libncurses-dev | ncurses-dev, kernel-package

try libncurses-dev.

> Xlib: No protocol specified

You need to allow the user running that to access your X server. root I
imagine.

easy: as your uid - 'xhost +localhost'
better: as root, 'ln -sf ~youruid/.Xauthority ~'

Mike.
--
Mike Beattie <mike@ethernal.org>                      ZL4TXK, IRLP Node 6184

         Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether.