Re: Mobile modems

Hello Jean-Marc,

Am 16:48 2003-03-26 +0100 hat Jean-Marc V. Liotier geschrieben:

>On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 15:34, Andy Swallow wrote:
>>
>> Does anybody know much about using a mobile phone as a modem for a
laptop? Is
>> the whole subject something of a minefield? Is it only realistically
possible
>> with Windows? Any pros/cons that I should be aware of?

>Keep in mind that standard GSM tops at about 9.6 Kb/s, 14.4 Kb/s with
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This has nothing to Do with HSCSD... 14.400 is only compressed.

>HSCSD. With GPRS you can expect throughputs between 20 and 50 Kb/s
>according to how many time slots you use.

GPrs use only the speed which the modem supports and has nothing to
do with HSCSD.

New Mobil-Telephons can support up to 4 Channels of 9600 Bps which
is upt ot 38.400 Bps/second. If your MobilPhone Provider support it,
you can get compression up to 57.600 Bps too.

Please note, that GPRS is used to Bill the Clients per MBytes which
will make bill like the Hell !!!

If I use GPRS on my mailaccounts (27 Mailinglists with 2 MByte per
Day) I will pay around 300 Euros per month.

With HSCSD I pay only 28 Euros per month (e-Plus at Victorfox/
Vodaphone in Germany)

Michelle

--
Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
| Michelle's Internet-Service                    Inh.  Michelle Konzack    |