Re: SuSe -> Debian

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:27, Raimund.E.Kohl@web.de wrote:
> I am to change from SuSE to Debian and also am far from being a Power User.
> Thus, is there something in specific that I should take care of before
> trying to install Debian on my Notebook?

Notebooks can be problemmatic, and getting ALL the information you need out of
the config files can be difficult (also complicating the matter different
distributions have binaries that work differently).

I suggest creating a new partition for the Debian install and keeping the SuSE
in place so that you can extract anything you need at a later time.

After a few months have elapsed then you'll be reasonably certain that you've
copied everything that's worth copying and you can make the SuSE partition
into /usr/src or /var.

When I got my first laptop I didn't remove Windows for 4 months as I wasn't
certain until then that I had copied all hardware information...