Re: Confused... Linux Kernel 2.4.20 on Gericom Bellagio

Marcus Ancillius Schwertmann <bane@gmx.net> writes:

> I've installed Debian on my Laptop (Bellagio Gericom) some
> time ago with 2.4.18-bf2.4 and now tried to compile my own
> kernel. Easy thing to compile, but not to boot. I did
> anything. I used make oldconfig, used to knoppix-2.4.20
> Kernel config used my own settings. All the same problem:
> While booting 2.4.20 tries to mount my root file-system (/)
> it calls e2fsck and this reports an error:
> Unalbe to mount root fs ..... possible no ext2 fs... if it
> is try mounting with a different superblock 8192 (if i
> remember right). Strange thing is, with the old kernel it
> works. cfdisk does report EXT2 (running under the
> 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel of course). And mounting with different
> superblock does not help a thing. It returns the same
> error... Ah and EXT2 is of course installed in the kernel
> (well as said, i used make oldconfig, too and knoppix does
> have ext2 compiled in and my own settings of course too)
> I do not know what I could do. I've compiled severel Kernels
> with the same FXs. HELP

I had the same problem when I wanted to boot with anything
but the Knoppix-kernel installed from the c't-Knoppix CD
(I tried my own/precompiled, initrd/plain),
until I applied the xfs patch to the sources, then it worked.
I don't use xfs, so I don't have any idea why that helped.
My root partition (ext3) is in a logical partition beyond
cylinder 1024, might that have anything to do with it?

BTW, it is Linux 2.4.20 on a Thinkpad T30.

Hope this helps

Jürgen

PS: If you use more precise subjects you will get more and earlier help.

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/

> rot 13 "fr"