Silent laptop & Q on CD-R

This puppy is now _working_...almost.

Once I rebooted the cable modem and connected it before a fresh install,
using the 2.4 kernel, I got most things I want.

I just have to get two pieces working and I should be outright
_ecstatic_...which is rare for me.

Piece 1: sound.  At first it insisted that the permissions were wrong
for /dev/dsp.  I had a bit of confusion before until I rembered the
'chmod' command -- be gentle with me, I'm emigrating from Mandrake --
and then I just did a "chmod ugo+rwx" -- so no more permissions, but
it's still silent.

Piece 2: CD-R.  What do I have to do to be able to write CDs?  My drive
is a DVD/CD-R combo, but I'm not sure how to use the CD-R under Linux.
(I still screw up making CD's under Windows!)

Thanks in advance for help, guidance and patience.

Mitch