Re: linux-wlan packages...

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 15:24:47 -0500
mcpierce@databasix.com wrote:

> I have the D-Link WDL-650 card in my laptop. However, when I installed
> the linux-wlan-ng packages from sarge, I was unable to connect to the
> network and had to remove the package in order to go back online. It
> was my understanding that the card is PrismII and that the package
> would support that. Am I mistaken?

My understanding is that D-Link changed the chipset at some point
without changing the name of the card.  My memory is a little fuzzy on
this one though, as I never had one of these cards.  I do know that
there is an important difference between the DWL-650 and the DWL-650+.
The plus may have been how they signified the chipset change, I'm not
sure.  In any case, the linux-wlan-ng drivers should support prismII
cards, that much I know.  Personally I've found the orinoco drivers in
the kernel to be simpler and more reliable though.  Contrary to the
name, they support PrismII as well.

If you could give us the output of dump_cis or anything from dmesg that
relates to the driver in question, that might help.

--
Chas Becht
mailto:chasbecht@hotpop.com      (Public Key available on request)