Re: HermesAP

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 18:10:25 -0700
Josh <Zevlag@Webpipe.net> wrote:

> I am trying to get the Orinoco hermesap drivers installed from
> http://www.hunz.org/hermesap.html  I have a laptop with a clean
> install of debian on it, stable release image via jigdo. Boot from CD
> and do the bf24 install ( I wanted the 2.4 kernel) with no odd options
> and PCMCIA support. I then used dselect added cvs, downloaded the cvs
> of HermesAP and tried make install.
>
> I get the error,
> in file included from hermes.c:46:
> /usr/include/linux/module.h:21:
> linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [hermesap.o] Error 1
>
> I am lost, any help?

Why do you want hermesap? That sounds like the driver for a Wireless
Access Point, which is not what you're trying to support.

You need the pcmcia-source package. It will expand into
/usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs.

Now get kernel-source-<whatever>. If you want to keep most of the same
configuration as the kernel you installed do (from /usr/src/linux) "cp
/boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4 .config".

Now do "make xconfig". Disable pcmcia support. Enable "Wireless LAN
support" but don't enable any devices.

Now you're ready to compile a new kernel without pcmcia support, and the
pcmcia support in /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs.

Here is a pointer to an article on making custom Debian kernels:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

with the details.

Kevin