Re: Serious crash

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:25, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> The other day I had a serious problem with my Debian laptop. I rarely
> run it on batteries but a couple of days ago I did just that. After it
> had been idle for around 2 hours I went to try and use it. No response
> to any keys, so I powered it down. When it came back up the Debian

I regularly have my laptop crash in such a fashion.  I suspect that if I turn
off DMA for the hard drive then it might work better, but haven't wanted to
lose the performance.

Running a disk intensive task on my laptop when it's time to suspend is a sure
way to kill it.  I have my apm scripts run "sync" twice before trying to
suspend the machine to reduce the risk of this.

The ReiserFS journal takes care of this well.