Re: online/offline exim config

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 09:08:03AM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Aargh.  No.  It _can_ be performed with sendmail

Correct.

> (or exim - in the current
> discussion we've been discussing exim but no mention has been made of the fact
> that exim installs itself with the synonym 'sendmail').

As do most MTA's. Please note that in my original mail, I stated
"/usr/bin/sendmail", as distinct from "sendmail". The '/usr/sbin/sendmail'[0]
interface is a defacto standard whichever way you look at it. If your MTA
provides such an interface, it proves much easier to use with default
configurations.

And no, it doesn't 'install itself' with the synonym 'sendmail', the package
contains a symlink of that name pointing to the exim binary, to supply that
interface.

[0] I was incorrect, /usr/sbin is the correct location. (although Solaris
    has /usr/lib/sendmail, so this is a moot point)

> But there's absolutely
> no reason not to use SMTP for queuing local mail if your preferred MUA can't
> pipe to a native program (fairly common).
>
> If exim is configured not to accept SMTP connections except from the local
> subnet (common for this kind of laptop setup) and you have appropriate firewall
> rules, there's nothing to fear from letting exim use SMTP to queue local mail.

Of course not. but people need to be aware that most programs will use
/usr/bin/sendmail to inject mail into the local MTA's queue, and if they do
so, they do not require the MTA to be listening on port 25.

This is an awareness factor, more than anything else.

Mike.
--
Mike Beattie <mike@ethernal.org>                      ZL4TXK, IRLP Node 6184

    "Sometimes I think that the surest sign that intellegent life exists
   elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."