Re: PCMCIA NIC problem

Am Mon, 2003-03-24 um 10.16 schrieb Harry Brueckner:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a Xircom Realport NIC in my notebook which run Debian Woody stable
> and now unstable.
>
> I have to use a dhcp server (dhcp-client 2.0pl5-15) when I am connected in
> the office and no network  connection while I am at home.
>
> The problem now is, that while I am at the office and dhcp is working
> everything is fine and I can shutdown/reboot the machine and it always
> comes up again with a fresh dhcp connect.
> Now when I am using the computer at home for a while (without network link)
> and come back into the office, the network link does not come up again.
>
> ifconfig shows the eth0 interface but the ip address is missing. Everything
> else seems to be ok. Of course there is no routing information because dhcp
> gives up after a while with the following messages:
>
> ... dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
> <repeated>
> ... dhclient: No DHCPOFFERS received.
> ... dhclient: No working leases in persistent database.
> ... dhclient: Sleeping.
>
> On the dhcp server I can see that it actually does get a connection
> assigned but somehow the communication on my clients side looses something.
>
> I also tried the dhcp3-client but it didn't make any changes. After I run
> the notebook without network link something seems to get messed up.
>
> To get it back to live, I have to start/stop /etc/init.d/networking,
> /etc/init.d/pcmcia and /etc/pcmcia/network a couple of times. So far I was
> not able to find a procedure which always works to get the link working
> again.

Just kill -9 dhclient, take out the card and put it back in.
Or try the following:

killall dhclient
/sbin/dhclient eth0

The latter works for me to "update" the dhcp lease on my laptop after a
lengthy suspend.

HTH
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice