Kernel panic: No init found.

Hi,
I've been trying to install Debian (kernel version 2.20) on Sony Vaio PCG-GT1. Since I don't have a working CD-ROM I went ahead and created a floppy image (I'm not really sure I'm using the right images but this is another story). After inserting the rescue.bin disk it mounts the ext2 partition and asks me to insert the root.bin disk, and after hitting enter I get ...
>Warning: unable to open an initial console.
>Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel

Could anyone give me a hint about what should I do. I tried to set the init option but since I'm a newbie to Linux I must have been doing it wrong.
Thank you.

Diana.