Re: Samsung Q10 Boot from Firewire/iee1394 (NETINSTALL)?

Hi Chas,

  thanks for taking the time.

   >   I just bought a Samsung Q10, a really nice and slick subnotebook.
> > Unfortunately I don't have a clue how to get debian on it.
> >
> >   It boots fine from the woody cd-rom and let's me format the drives
> >   etc.,
> > but when it comes down to load kernel modules it doesn't know where to
> > turn to. When issuing "mount" I don't see the cdrom connected(?) by
> > firewire. I haven't been able to google something useful.
>
>   If I understand correctly, you are installing from an external
> (firewire) cd-rom.  When you get to the loading modules step, you need
> to read data from the cd-rom, but don't have support for it yet.
Exactly. Actually it happens when "Installation of Kernel and Modules"-Step.
When I select this step the installer asks me from which media I'd like to
load the kernel etc. Usually (with other systems) I am not queried for the
media. The available options include floppy drives (which I don't have), the hd
(which is empty) and "mounted", the already mounted fs ... The installation
media is not among the options.
I don't know if that is of any interest, but mount gets me that:
/dev/ram0 on / type ext2 (rw)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /target type reiserfs (rw)

> You
> could try to see if knoppix supports the drive, and then see what
> modules are loaded.
> Whatever information you could get from a llinux
> system that works with that drive could be helpful in setting it up in
> debian.
Thanks for giving directions. I am downloading knoppix at the moment and
will feed back later.

> Also, you could try installing from a different source.  You
> could do a network install or load the modules you need from a floppy.
I tried that already, but with not much of a success.
First I tried the net installer for sarge/sid. It started out fine and I was
already wgetting all the neccessary stuff, but after no matter what module
selection I do (tried a couple of them) I always run in this kind of errors:

/home/martin/projects/debian-installer/tools/cdebconf/src/frontend.c:133
| (grondend_new): Cannot load frontend module
| /usr/lib/cdebconf/frontend/newt.so: libnewt.so.0.50:

Actually this is not from my output, but from google, but is pretty
accurate. It always complains about
/home/martin/projects/debian-installer/tools/cdebconf/src/frontend.c:133 and then complains about different modules. I tried
sarge and sid.
The website says the installer is just for testing purposes anyway. So I
figured it is too much to ask for help with it...

I also downloaded two unofficial images which I understood would be
netinstallers (woody-i386.iso) and (bootbf2.4), but they work just like the ordinary
installation,

>   To provide any more specific help, I would need to know more about the
> drive you are trying to get support for.  Perhaps someone else on list
> knows more about firewire drives than I do though.
How do I know what drive it is? lspci is not available, but /proc/pci gives
me something like this:
Bus 2, device 3, function 1:
Firewire (IEEE1394): PCI device 1180:0551 (Ricoh Co Ltd) (rev 0)
IRQ 11.
etc....

I'll feedback when I downloaded Knoppix, which is likely to be ended tonight
(CET).

Is this the right mailing list or should I go to debian-user?

Cheers,
Mariano