Re: your mail

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 01:47:55PM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> OK, that obviously wasn't necessary - I probably did it myself long ago.  I've
> used etherconf to reconfigure my network without any damage - but without fixing
> things.

No, because ifupdown is not what controls the pcmcia sockets. you want to
let cardmgr do the work, including calling ifup for configuration of the
interface.

> I changed that and things have changed, but they're still not right.
>
> If I do "ifdown eth0", the firewall is torn down.  If I do "ifup eth0" the
> firewall is rebuilt.  This is good.  But if I remove/replace the pcmcia card,
> ifup/ifdown don't appear to be run. The script as I have it (taken from a
> reinstall, so not my fault :-) ) contains:
> It seems I'd picked up a version of pcmcia-cs from sid in one of my experiments,
> but even having downgraded this to 3.1.33-6 it does _not_ seem to invoke
> ifup/ifdown (all that seems different is the use of hotplug in sid). I _did_
> reset DHCP="y" when I recreated the network.opts file.

Of cource, you do realise that when using /e/n/interfaces with pcmcia, you
dont want to change the default network.opts at all, right?

Mike.
--
Mike Beattie <mike@ethernal.org>                      ZL4TXK, IRLP Node 6184

    "Sometimes I think that the surest sign that intellegent life exists
   elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."