Re: xdm and twm

"Jordi Cerdan" <jcerdan@myp.ad> writes:

> Hey,
>
>     I am new on Debian and Linux and have successfully installed x-window on
> my laptop (Fujitsu C1020). Then I installed xdm and twm without (nearly) any
> problem. But I want to go further now and uninstall them to get Gnome, but
> xdm has captured the login method that was by text console and now it's in
> graphical.
>     Will there be any problem if I install Gnome? Will it substitute the xdm
> Login window?

No Gnome will (perhaps) not replace xdm. xdm is just one graphical
login manager. The Gnome project has developed it's own login application
that's gdm and gdm can replace xdm.
With Debian both (xdm and gdm) could be installed simultaneously
on installation you will be asked which one should actually be used.

by the way, xdm has not disabled your text consoles you may switch
anytime using [Ctrl]+[Alt]+ [F1]..[F5]

[Alt]+ [F7] will switch back to X

just try it, install gdm and/or gnome with Debian you could just
uninstall it if you don't like it.

Arne