Re: DELL Inspiron and some problems

>> clock is loosing around 5 Minutes an hour. :-(
>
> My inspiron 8200 was so poor at keeping time ntp refused to sync the
> clock.  I eventually found "tickadj 10270" made it close enough that
> ntp would work.

On my Inspiron 4100, the hardware clock is much better than the system
clock. And the system clock is much better when I do NOT use apm (you may
try booting without). Unfortunately, up to know, I have not gotten much
success with acpi instead if apm, but I keep trying :-)

In the meantime, I use this cron entry:

5,15,25,35,45,55 * * * * /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh start > /dev/null

And in /etc/network/interfaces, I use these interface up scripts:

up /etc/init.d/ntpdate start
up /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh stop

 Harry